Wednesday, August 5, 2009

A Story of Redemption

Mikvah
A storm eats
away at the ground,
the foolish one, stands on the sand.
I am
the foolish one.
The rain above, the river below,
I stare into the cold
darkness of the water.
Turmoil, danger, blackness, fear, my worst
nightmare, draws
me in.
Over the roaring, I hear You
whisper my name,
deep calls to deep.
Promising to meet me,
there, in the darkest, coldest
shadows.
I have to let
go.
Eyes closed, face lifted, mouth screaming
I jump.
I am pierced
with knives of cold water,
tossed about, I fight, I struggle,
I sink.
Surrendering with lifted
hands and heart,
a living sacrifice.
I am dying.
I open my mouth
to drink, it tastes of life.
The water caresses
me. Carried away, still
and waiting. Listening
to Your voice.
There is still pain,
Bruising
rocks, sometimes even tearing.
But You don't leave
me,
You are with me.
You have been here before,
You know
The Way.
I reach a quiet
place, able to rise.
I rest beside the still
water, shivering.
I find The Rock
to stand
upon, my face lifted, warmed
by the Sun.
My soul sings
a new song, a song
I never knew before.
I am free.
My life
surrendered, washed
clean,
made new.
Baptisto.
by chaundra









I wrote this poem during a very difficult time I recently had, facing some terrible issues of abuse that I endured as a little child.







To redeem is to trade something with litle or no value for something very valuable. He has redeemed me. God is so good.







Also, Mikvah is the ceremonial bath that a Jewish girl/woman would take before her wedding. It is the foreshadowing of the baptism in the New Testament. And baptisto is the greek word for baptism.

3 comments:

  1. That is really moving and beautiful, Chaundra. Thanks for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chaundra:

    What a testimony of grace, forgiveness, preserverence, and faith to trust. Your poem truly touched my heart. I felt your pain, and I rejoiced in your triumph. Many times I have often wondered why God allows us to go through the things we go through, and through one of the most difficult times in my life (when I've felt more alone than ever before), the answer was so clear...God wants a realtionship with us, not just in the good times, but in the bad. He never leaves us nor forsakes us, but it seems we only draw close to our faith in the bad times. How much time I spent in His word, quoting his promises aloud when I "needed" to...I never realized that need was more than those times of hardship, but was a need I had every day. To err is human...to forgive is divine. Only through God's strength and his power are we able to overcome our own thoughts, heal our broken hearts, and truly forgive those that hurt us. Your poem is an inspiration for those that have come to know Christ, come to forgive, and come to live a new life in HIM. You are an inspiration and I believe God when he says his word never returns back to him void...and that all things work out for His good and His glory...may your words be a blessing to others as they have been to me.

    darla

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chaundra:

    What a testimony of love and grace, preserverence, forgiveness, and hope through a trusting relationship founded by faith. I felt your pain and I rejoiced in your triumph as a renewed life born through Christ.

    I often wondered why God allows us to go through some of the heartaches and endure some of the things we endure...and it wasn't until recently (while going through one of the toughest times in my life where I felt very alone) that the answer was so clear. God says that the struggles we face in this life are not of flesh and bone, but of evil and of good. The devil has a way of making us feel all alone, but God says...he never leaves us nor forsakes us.

    Over the past few weeks, I have had to choose to meditate the word day and night (even when I didn't feel like it), and speak it over my life outloud. Seems we sometimes only rely on our faith when we "need" it...usually through a hardship or trial, rather than realizing it is a true relationship with HIM that he wants, and that is a "need" we all have deep within our souls...that longing for completeness. Through faith: the hope for those things we wish for, but do not see, we speak of those things (God's promises) as they are even though they may or may not.

    I believe God's word is true in all aspects...and I believe that those things we endure, harbor, and let break our inner most heart and souls, God wants to heal...he said that his word never returns to him void...and that...he works out all things for the good for his names sake and his glory.

    We always strive to arrive, but God said as Christians, we will always face troubles in this world...as the thief comes only to steal, kill and destroy...roaming around the earth, looking for someone to devour. God says, however, that he didn't give us a spirit of fear, but of peace and a sound mind. We are only a vapor of this world...and our purpose is greater than this life. For if we ever did arrive, how much of a realationship would we desire with our Lord? How much work and effort would we put into KNOWING him and leaving a legacy to our blessings, our children?

    To err is human, to forgive is divine. Only God has the kind of power that can wipe away the hurt that we as young children have faced and use that for a purpose bigger than ourselves. For God who loved us, gave up his only son to die for our transgressions and heal us of our pains, even those that had not happened before his death on the cross. God says that even we as parents as imperfect as we are know how to give good gifts to our children....and how much more does our heavenly father as perfect as he is want to do give good gifts to us...his children when we ask? God doesn't just tell us to love one another. He says that of all the things, the greatest of all is love...and, humbly and graciously OUR GOD...IS every word of the definition of Love because God...is love.

    What a living example God is using through you and your experiences. I pray that your words will be as much of a blessing to others as they were to me. You are an inspiration to those that are hurting, and your words provide a hope for peace and a hope of finding a new life through our Savior.

    You have a gift! Glad you are sharing it!
    darla

    ReplyDelete