Saturday, August 1, 2009

So You Think You Can Homeschool?

Actually, it should say "So You Think You Can't Homeschool?". I wish I could tell you how many times I've heard people say to me with amazement in their voice "You homeschool?? I could never do that! I just don't have the patience! And my kids would never learn anything from me." I find this so amusing because you can and you do homeschool. Every parent does! Who taught your kid to potty in a toilet? Who taught your kid how to put on their socks? Who taught your kid to share? (okay so you're still working on that one!) YOU DID! Every parent is a homeschooler. Some do it full time, and some do it part. This isn't an attempt to convince anyone to be a homeschooler (since we've already established the fact that you already are!). It is just a sneak peak into the life of homeschooling as me and my sweet family see it.




Most of our day consists of just being. Yup, you read that right. We are just being mom, being sister, being brother, being daughter or son, being wife or husband, being friend or neighbor, being HUMAN. The rest of our day we do some reading, writing, and 'rithmetic! (And some other electives) We have fun curriculum, using what I call "real books" to learn history, science, geography, spelling, grammar, and all the rest. The only textbooks we use are to practice handwriting and to do math. But when you use Math U See, even that can be fun!




But the real beauty of schooling at home is, this is a picture of our school. Go to any other homeschoolers house and they will do things differently. Their schedules will reflect the personalities and needs of their family members. There are people that range from unschoolers (no structured learning at all) to the most structured school imaginable, to everything in between. And even more wonderful.... you have the option to school each one of your children differently. So if you are blessed with a son that you can't get off the top of the refrigerator to show him his letters (as I am), than you can unschool him until he shows some readiness to sit quietly and learn something. Amazingly, my "jungle boy" Echo, has learned a LOT. But on his terms is all.




When you get started things seem overwhelming. But they will all fall into place. My first move was to get Cathy Duffy's "100 Top Picks for Homeschool Curriculum". She walks you through your own Philosophy of Teaching, and your own child's Style of Learning. Then you can use the chart to find Curriculum that will work for you!





However nothing is more important than other warm bodies that are going through the same thing. Find a homeschool support group near you. They are usually very warm and inviting, have a wealth of knowledge, and know all the resources in your area to be a successful homeschooler! In our area I am a part of Desert Hills Christian Homeschoolers. So far it has proved to be a fantastic group. We just went on our first group field trip with them to the Arizona Science Center, which, surprisingly, our OMSI passes from our Oregon museum of science got us in free!!





All this to say, we love our little school at home. And their is nothing special or amazing about me at all. If I can be a full time homeschooler, anyone can, and I mean that with all sincerity. The only good that comes out of me is from my sweet Jesus! He is the only reason that I make any right moves. He turns my meager attempts at parenting into glorious and meaningful teachable moments. All of the glory goes to Him and all of my thanks as well.




Blessings to you and yours

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you started a blog! I love hearing your thoughts, you adorable, precious person, you! And I miss you. Love all the great photos too. Keep it up! I'm adding you to my blog roll. xoxo

    ReplyDelete