Sunday, August 9, 2009

The Heart Butt Connection.....


This morning I got a text from John asking me how it was going. My response was basically a list of how many of our kids have needed spankings! Needless to say, it was a trying morning. But thankfully, doing the hard thing has proven to be the right thing as well. My children were testing the boundaries, and I let them know exactly where I stood. They are all behaving nicely and feeling secure and loved. Now I can expect my children to hear my voice before it becomes loud and irritable. There is peace in this house.



In my conversations with other parents, I have often felt the passion in me rising anytime the subject of spanking came up. I can say, with complete transparency, that if I hadn't been given the proper tools to discipline my kids, I myself would have become abusive. The victim.... becoming the victimizer. I am so completely humbled by the mystery and beauty and wisdom of God's Word. In Proverbs alone God strongly directs all parents to spank a child 26 times. I don't know about you, but anytime God says something that many times, it must be important to look at and take seriously. Would God tell us plainly to do something that is wrong, or won't work?




As a child, I was mistreated. As a parent, I was scared. I wanted to be a good mom. I didn't want to ever damage my child and I also didn't want to be overly permissive.... which would also be damaging to my child. I am so thankful to God, for, by Divine Appointment, He directed me to a ministry called "Hearts at Home". And I am so thankful to God for the transparency, wisdom, and boldness of the women on the "discipline panel" who answered our anonymous questions, and gave us a huge dose of godly wisdom on parenting. They were the starting point on the journey of parenting that I badly needed. Pray for women in your life with children in their teens or later that have obviously succeeded at parenting them. Women who were obedient to God's Word, and are reaping the benefits.



Everything I know about the mystery of spanking is due to the books that I've read and the women that God put in my life. He put some amazing friends in my life that were living the chapters right before my eyes. Thank you God for Heather Holland, Jenni Lenc, Kalen Bringle and Kathy Cates especially. No three women could be a better example to me of godly discipine and love to their children than these!! I am overwhelmed with how much they helped me along.... thanks so much guys!



The books that were the most helpful to me in making choices about my parenting techniques and style were "Don't Make Me Count to Three" by Ginger Plowman, "Sacred Parenting" by Gary Smally and "Shepherding a Child's Heart" by Tedd Tripp. (I also got some good nuggets from "To Train Up a Child" by Michael Pearl, but that book needs to be read with caution). I love sharing things that I learn with others and passing on parenting advice that has proven to be useful and important in my journey as a mom. So here I blog.... a condensed version for a healthy and effective swat on the behind.



I am absolutely aware that there are abusive ways to spank your child. And there are appropriate and loving ways to do it. I was taught several excellent ways to be sure that this form of discipline remained effective, loving, intimate, and right. First, and absolutely foremost, there cannot be any emotion attached to the spanking besides love!! If you are angry, and will get any satisfaction out of spanking your child ("That's it!!! Now you're gonna GET IT!!) then it is not an appropriate time to give them one. The key is to make a choice of whether or not you're going to be a parent that spanks, decide what offenses will result in one, and then just do it.




Next, decide what offenses are deserving of a spanking. I have decided that I wasn't concerned with the behaviors of my children, so much as I was their heart. And I also decided that spanking won't work if they are used every time your child is just acting silly and childish.... or showing immaturity and irresponsibility. For those times I would use a different method that helps with behavior modification, like our tally system, or taking things that they like away. So, in other words, choose your battles.... in advanced! I also ask the Holy Spirit to direct me, to tug on my heart, when a spanking was necessary. Who better than God Himself knows your child? NO ONE!! And then be ready to live out what you have decided. If you have no plan, the situations you find yourself in, will just escalate ("I said don't do that..... Johnny stop it!!.... STOP ITTT!!!) And then the teachable moment is lost, because you are irritated and even angry.




I made a rule with my children and myself that if I felt they were being disrespectful, defiant, or unsafe, they would get a spanking. An example of direspect would be rude faces, sticking out their tongue, hands on their hips, stomping their little feet, turning their back, and anything that they say that is short of respect and honor to me or their dad. (Notice how there are ways to be disrespectful with body language alone??) A three year old that sticks out their tongue at you, without consequence, could very easily become a 16 year old that gives you the finger!! When they are in their younger years, excessive whining and temper tantrums are considered disrespectful in our house as well.



Defiance is a refusal to obey, (only ask them ONCE!!! then sit there quietly and wait for it). I expect them to respond very shortly after I ask something of them. I ask them in a nice voice. I don't want them to ignore me until they hear in my voice that I'm about to crack up. I want them to hear my sweet voice, so that is the one I can use all the time. By the way, I am far from perfect. And these are my ideals. When I end up yelling or getting really irritated I tell my kids I'm sorry and ask them to forgive me. And they are very gracious and forgiving.



Disobedience is also when they don't do something ALL the way. Partial obedience, isn't obedience at all. Sometimes little ones need some more encouraging, and some reminding. But as they get older I expect total obedience... ie, the playroom needs to be all the way clean, not just partway clean.



And finally, if they obey, but they do it with a poor attitude. That is showing rebellion in their heart. Which is total rebellion to me. When I remind them of what obedience is I say "Please do it, right away, all the way and with a happy heart". Of course, there are times when I show them grace.... lots of times. God, the perfect Father does the same for us as parents. He is the model that we should follow. So, once again, pray! pray! pray! Ask for that wisdom from God, He will always give it to you.




Another point I wanted to include is, every child is different. Not only in different families, but within the same family. Be sensitive to that. Know your child. Know their heart. Find their gifts and their desires. Be supportive. Love on them the way they need to be loved. (People need to be shown love in different ways. Read The Five Love Languages by Gary Chapman) In Proverbs 22:6 "Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it." the word "way" is originated from an archery term that means to bend, as in an arrow. You want to bend that arrow to be on it's path, but you don't want to break it. Find the way your child needs to be bent. Find the ways your child is already bent. Every child is bent differently. Like an arrow, aim them in the direction they are meant to be in, bend them just so, and they will get there. God's Word says so.




So, after you have established when you feel it's appropriate to spank your child, be sure to practice the how. Lashing out at unexpected times, while screaming and chasing after them is not a picture of a loving adminstering of a spanking. The whole thing needs to be "an event" in order for it to be effective. It needs to be controlled. It needs to be expected and not a surprise. Tell them how many swats to expect, and then count them out loud. Three is enough in my opinion. It should sting like crazy, but NEVER leave a mark. Some people use a "rod" of some sort, and some use their hand. It is a personal preference, and should be prayed about.



We have a spanking place. That way it is never a surprise, to either of us! Once we find ourselves in the laundry room, I have a conversation (or just one sentence, depending on the age and maturity of the child). I try to use the same words God does, because no one can say it better! "You were disrespectful to mommy when you.... and that is not honoring your mother" or "You need to obey mommy... and it was disobedient when you...." When I have explained their offense, I give them their three swats. If your child wears a diaper you should move their diaper. If you feel uncomfortable with spanking a bare bottom, put a wash cloth over it. And afterwards, hug them until they are done crying. When they are calm enough to hear your voice, pray with them. Pray as the Spirit leads you. God knows what words they need to hear.




Some days my wildest child will need several spankings. And sometimes my kids will go weeks and weeks without one. When they get a spanking, they don't feel offended, they feel loved. They trust my word, because I follow through. They have boundaries and feel safe by them. They know the difference when I have failed to live by my convictions and have "flown off the handle". They prefer a calm spanking over a crazed and yelling mommy anyday. This isn't meant to be a way to intimidate a child into listening. It is mysteriously, like my blog title states, connected to their heart.



If you have never even considered spanking an option, and are now thinking of giving it a try, be sure to have a conversation with your child/ren about what to expect from you and what you expect from them. Then pick one or two behaviors that you feel has gotten way out of hand, and concentrate on those one or two. Once you see improvement (consistency is KEY!!!) than tell them about the other behaviors that will now result in a proper swat.




I hope these words have been helpful to someone somewhere with the questions I found myself having all those years ago. Thank You Lord, for You are my strength in my many weaknesses. Thank You Lord for Your Holy Spirit to guide me. Thank You Lord for the wisdom in Your Word. Thank You Lord for the promises you will keep. I offer up my beautiful children to You, for they are not really mine. Please help me to be sensitive to the way each one is bent, and please help them to soar to heights and distances in spite of any mistakes I might make along the way. In the precious Name of Jesus is my prayer. Amen.

20 comments:

  1. Chaundra!

    Wow, you put that SO well. I, too, learned so much from all those Godly women at Hearts at Home and I thank you so much for the reminder of how it is "supposed" to be done. Now, a question for your opinion.... how old is too old? Heather M.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. for me 14 up until then I love it

      Delete
  2. Hi Heather,
    I suppose I would have to say that you need to be sensitive to your/each child. Know them.

    For me, my oldest is 8, and I almost never have to spank her anymore. If it's done consistently and properly when they are little, it just naturally tapers off.

    And definitely seek God's wisdom in prayer if you are feeling uncomfortable.

    Peace....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to pull her knickers down and spank her bum, then finger her pussy and make her feel good

      Delete
    2. hell yes nice bald puffy e===t yr old p---y, my cousin was that age when I f----d her I was 16 best p---y I ever had and she loved getting f----d, I got married at 19 but still f----d her, no way I was giving up e----n yr old p---y for adult p---y, love to find one now to f--k

      Delete
  3. Chaundra,
    that was an excellent concise post!! so many mommies {and daddies} should read this! i have read and plan to read a couple of the books that you mentioned and would definitely recommend them as well. i was one of those mom's who thought that {before my littlest one was even old enough to spank} i would never spank my child but that quickly changed once they were old enough to need a spanking! i appreciate all of the helpful advice that i received from older wiser mommies in that area of discipline! thank you again for your wise words!
    blessings,
    jenn
    ps. by the way, i'm a friend of jeanna's from kansas and i also want to thank you for being one of those friends for her that has made living in Arizona feel like home! i'm so grateful to God for sending godly women to her!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel sorry for your kids, all of you. Were any of you homeschooled? Do you even know what you are doing to your kids? Do you have any idea how ugly, how real, and how deserving the social stigma is that you are burdening your children with?

    I see across the board that well meaning 'homeschooler' type parents end up stunting their children. You are raising children up who do not have an internal moral compass because YOU ARE their compass. You shield them from everything. And so, when the time comes for them to face the world on their own they will struggle in a big way.

    They will struggle in the workplace... there are bullies and people out there who you don't control and can't spank or manipulate into submission like you do with your children. You can't tell the real world 'God says you have to listen to me because I am older than you'. No dice. Your children will struggle relating to people (the majority of people) who were not raised in a militant 'Dad Rules and Dont Question Anything and God Is On My Side Not Your Side and Woman are Inferior' household.

    Prove me wrong, any success stories out there from kids who were homeschooled and went on to actually make a difference in the world and succeed at something social and real?

    I didnt think so... do your kids a favor, put them in school.

    -Unwilling Homeschooled Alum

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you are so inclined, I would like to challenge you a bit. There is a lot to be said for having obedient children, who fear humiliation and therefore remember to stay (or return) to being "in line". These children do indeed, while they are too young to resist, conform.

    Not once in the bible does God or Jesus say to strike a child. Please correct me if I am wrong.

    My challenge to you is this: What if your children respected you, admired you, followed your example, and honored you in the same way you do them? What if they held you in the highest regard because you never once used violence, but instead, taught them the value of life, love, and the values of Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Thank you. Former homeschooled, spanked victim here. I know it's too late for these poor kids, but maybe their kids won't face the same ignorance.

      Delete
  6. Angie, it seems we agree strongly on one thing, raising healthy lovely adults from our children. I'm afraid nothing I say will change your mind. You see spanking as violent, and I see it as a necessary and intense type of intimacy. The Bible plainly states it over and over in Proverbs. You see submission as a dirty word, and I see it as a beautiful role that even Jesus Himself ascribed to. You think I am absorbed in the behaviors of my children and their level of performance, and yet I am absorbed in their heart. All that to say, I see that you are strong in your convictions and are passionate about your creative ways if parenting. And I am open to many other forms of discipline. This blog was just touching on one of them. Thanks for your response. Sincerely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is disgusting what you sre doing to your kids. I live in a European country where spanking was prohibited 36 years ago! If you lived in my country your kids would be put in foster care and you as parent would go to jail!! And the children in my country do not run into trsffic nor have tantrums in shops. Most of them are well behaved (I am a teacher. I know.). Our juvenile crime rate cannot even be compared with the one in the US. It would never occur to a psstor or priest in my country to suggest spanking. How can anybody ever be so downright stupid as to condider violence as an expression of love?? That is delusion!

    ReplyDelete
  8. would like to fuck those girls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they would love it

      Delete
    2. got their little legs spread waiting for it

      Delete
  9. Weird how it is acceptable for you to hit your kids. If you were my employee would you find it ok for me to hit you if you made a mistake? Why not I mean well. And I care about your career. Oh and the answer I was spanked and turned out ok doesn't fly. Abuse victims often recover. I don't know you but it's sick. Keeping thinking you are a good religious person. Maybe you will be greeted in heaven with a belt. Oh wait God is loving.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wouldn't need the washcloth on their bums, I have no problem with feeling a toddlers naked bum I love naked kids so I would spank them then make them little pussy's feel reallllly good

    ReplyDelete
  11. the youngest 2 just finger fuck and eat their pussy but the oldest is ready to get it in the arse, my girls were 7

    ReplyDelete
  12. girls you know daddy has been sneaking into your room at night to make you feel good but we have to be quiet so we don't wake mommy, well mommy has to go visit grandma for a week so daddy is going to look after you for a week., we can all sleep naked in daddy's bed and make as much noise as we want!! I think daddy may have to take another week off to recover !

    ReplyDelete
  13. would love to eat there fannies

    ReplyDelete