Monday, June 7, 2010

Dear Annonymous Homeschool Alumni

As much as my own school at home does not reflect your own experience, I am not writing to invalidate you or your thoughts and feelings. They are yours, and they are real for you. I am sorry for you and for your parents. To be under authoritative controlling manipulative authority is difficult, especially when you are only a child, and those causing you pain are the people in your life that are supposed to be loving and protecting you. I'm sorry that your parents used discipline to manipulate you into behaving a certain way, instead of capturing your precious heart. Our parents are human, they make mistakes. I know this first hand. My experience as a child was filled with abuses of every kind. However, forgiveness is the only remedy for your pain. Bitterness will kill only you. And maybe, your parents, just like mine, did the best they could.

If you could meet my family you wouldn't feel sorry for us. My husband is anything but authoritative, and I am anything but a doormat. My role as the submissive wife is not my strong suit! My children are so incredible. My oldest, Blaze, is breathtaking, and I'm not talking about her physical beauty. Although she is not short on that either! Her passion for learning, and her insatiable love of reading plus her tender heart makes her the best big sister and oldest daughter anyone could ask for. Shade, my second oldest, may be small, but she has a large capacity to love. When she is in the room, everyone is smiling. Not only because she is cute as a button, but because she is a real commedienne. Making people of all ages laugh, is no problem for her. Then there is Echo. There is almost no words to describe him. He is Wild at Heart. The word "obstacle" doesn't exist in his vocabulary, not because he is four, but because nothing stops him. He is a born leader. And last but certainly not least, our sweet adorable little lock. He is our little prince baby to love and dote on. He is so very easy to love, he is so darn lovable!!!

As much as someone can take heed from an annonymous (and so obviously bitter) naysayer, I have. And my choice to homeschool was not born out of fear and won't be changed by fear either. My heart is ruled by peace. And now that I have discovered the fast rate that Blaze learns, the inability for Shade to focus, and the unusual methods Echo needs in order to learn, I am so so glad that I do school them at home. I know so much about the people that they are, and they are incredible individuals. And I am so sensitive to their incredible potential. I'm not sure I would know all of this about them if I didn't spend the day with them. I am so thankful just to know them.

Also, for a list of famous successful homeschooled persons, all you have to do is google it. The list is long and their successes are large. I actually have to look no farther than a few of my dear friends houses. Their kids have grown into these amazing human beings, that I would encourage my kids to look up to anyday.

I hope you can look back on your painful past experiences and see the blessings that they were to you. I hope you can take that pain that you felt from your parents' decisions and turn it into joy. I hope you find forgiveness. I hope you don't let anger rule in your heart.

Blessings to you annonymous homeschool alumni. My prayers are with you.

3 comments:

  1. What a gracious response! It is hard to receive those comments, but they have given you a gift, too: of pausing to take another look at your choices, your successes and the blessings you've received, what you have learned...and you can come out being so grateful for all of it! I am always touched at how amazingly your whole family is growing up, kids and adults alike. :D <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks wendy... you inspire me all of the time, so i am grateful to touch you back. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not sure what comment you got, but it sounds like the commenter is carrying around a lot of pain...many of us carry that same pain from our public school experience or from our homelife in general reardless of schooling. seeking to bring down others who seem to have the same life our parents gave us brings no healing...only grace, only forgiveness can do that. p.s. i love how beautifully you described each of those amazing children. oh, how i love and miss them.

    ReplyDelete